Yup. It got worse.

You know, I honestly didn't think it could get worse. I mean, of COURSE it can always be worse. I live a pretty charmed existence - happily married, GORGEOUS kiddo who, besides that bloomin' ear infection is healthy as can be, I have a roof over my head (and I kinda' like it, too), shoes on my feet, often TOO much food in my tummy.... I'm well educated, successful at the things I set my mind to..... I KNOW I've got it good. I KNOW. So OBVIOUSLY it could be worse.

But, if you read my last post you know this has been a pretty rough week for us in our little bubble of the "perfect" life. I mean, really, I do NOT function well without sleep, and that was a whole lot of not sleeping.

So, I know most of you lovely folks who pop over to this little blog of mine have already seen (and freaked out from and over) the pictures I posted to Facebook yesterday (if not, they're coming up, so sit tight). Here's what happened.

Thursday night (is that when I blogged last?) Little Miss DID finally sleep - it was heaven. Seriously I LOVE LOVE those antibiotics. We had an iffy night last night by other than that we're pretty much back to normal. PHEW!

Friday was my work party, if you recall my mentioning. I'm a consultant for Close To My Heart, a scrapbooking and stamping company and every three months "we" come out with a new "Idea Book" (catalogue). And every three months I throw a party to launch and/or celebrate the new book. We have a lot of fun, I give out lots of prizes and free stuff, someone wins "hostess" rewards from the party's orders, etc. etc. It's a blast, and always a lot of work. I have to clean and tidy the house, prep the create-and-take project, buy and prep the food, put together enough goodies and prizes to make the party actually worth coming to, PLAN what we're DOING at the party, get my business supplies ready i.e. order forms, business cards, etc. etc.

I HAD planned to have everything pretty much done by Thursday so I could spend Friday tidying and chillin' with Little Miss.

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh.......

So I called in reinforcements: MOM came to help! HOORAY!

We worked like dogs. Took turns looking after Little Miss while she whined (which was so much less frequent than previous in the week - hooray!), tidied, stuffed prizes in baggies, tied ribbons around baggies, prepared contests, set up new-stuff table...... it was a BUSY day.

During the day my dad had called down - he's going to Florida on Tuesday and wants to switch me cars so he and the boys can all fit with their gear and golf clubs in the trunk on the way to the airport. Mom said he should come down Friday night and visit with Little Miss even though Mr. Man could have probably dropped off our car (which is bigger than his, by the way, hence the need to switch) on Monday after work. For WHATEVER reason Mom said Dad should come down Friday. So he did.

Pizza for dinner. Dad over. 6:30. Last minute tidying, putting toys away, getting Little Miss and Dad set up in the basement with a SpongeBob DVD.

My first guest arrived about 6:40 - party starts at 7. I hadn't had time to do my hair, put on any makeup...

Then the phone rang.

(I looked at the caller ID - I hate the phone and HATE answering if I don't know who it is. I'm one of those people. And telemarketers TICK ME OFF.)

"It's Mr. Man! Hi!"

"Hi. I've been in a car accident."

"What?"

"I've been in a car accident."

"What?! You've been in an accident???" I was so...GOBSMACKED it didn't even occur to me to ask if he was okay. Someone else in the room clicked in and said ohmigosh-is-he-okay.... "Are you okay?!"

"Yeah. I'm okay."

"What happened?"

And then this I didn't get - I couldn't tell WHAT had happened. Something about a left turn and he couldn't stop... I'm picturing quite the mash-up of vehicles and the incredible hike in our insurance because it was Mr. Man's fault.... my head was just SPINNING. Maybe because of the overtired-and-then-overworked?

My Dad. My fantastic Dad. First thing he says: "Does Mr. Man need me to come get him?" Oh, thank GOODNESS my parents were here. Would NOT have handled it otherwise, I'm certain. With people already HERE for the party, Mr. Man in an accident over an hour from home (yay long commute - sigh) a sick Little Miss and my frazzle-dazzled self I'm pretty sure I would have collapsed.

But Dad rushed out the door, Mom took over Little Miss, my first guest took over greeting and dealing with the next few coats and explanations... what wonderful people we're so blessed to be surrounded by.

So, the accident. Here's my understanding of what happened:

Mr. Man was driving along a two-lane road (as in one lane each direction) actually near the speed limit as he was decelerating prepping to enter a slower-limit zone when out of the blue the car in the oncoming lane turns left....RIGHT in front of him. He says he saw her, hit the brake & turned the wheel and was in the ditch within an instant - no time for the car to react to the brake, and if he hadn't turned the car right he would have for sure t-boned her. He keeps saying if-I'd-been-changing-stations with disbelief....

I don't know WHAT the poor girl was doing. I'm sure she didn't do it on purpose. My initial instinct to hunt her down and kill her has passed. (It sounded like other than the emotional oy of smashing her car into my husband's she was fine, and she was charged by the police for, whatever it would be... driving like a moron for a moment? I dunno.)

We visited the car yesterday to get our stuff out of it and take pictures:


BOTH airbags deployed (Mr. Man lost his glasses for a while, but they ARE intact!)

This is all the stuff "they" scraped off the road - apparently part of cleaning up after an accident is throwing all the debris in the back seat? We found the other car's front license plate in there!




Yeah. I definitely had a little moment when I first saw the car. I don't know how close I could have actually been to LOSING my Mr., but that's a little WAY too close for my taste.

A perfect end to the worst week in our short history.

Here's to Monday. Let's do better this week, shall we?? (Knocking on everything wooden I can lay my knuckles against...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that at Mr. Man is ok. Here's to a nice and easy week!!!

stephs.unforgettable.moments said...

Red.
I'm am in awe with this post. I don't even know what to say. I am really hoping the week of miserable and bad luck has ended and that this first week of Feb. is going well. I was very glad to hear everyone is alright. Maybe this week will bring some excellent news and luck to brighten your blog from all the bad luck hehe. Hope your doing well.

Jen said...

OH my goodness, I'm SOOO Glad that he's ok, I didn't even see this post until today.. So many days later.. i actually saw an accident on the way to work another t-bone incident invovling a taxi and a guy coming out of a parking area.. Craziness!