Triglyceride Oxidation

I learned something kinda' cool yesterday in exercise physiology that I thought you lovely folks might find interesting. We've been learning about/reviewing the adaptations the body experiences as a result of different types of training, i.e. strength training (any resistance exercises: weight-training, pilates, calisthenics - the stuff that you do to make you stronger - super-dee-duper important, by the way - we should ALL be doing it) and endurance training (basically aerobic exercise: running, jogging, swimming, cycling - the long drawn-out exercise that makes you want to shoot yourself half-way through). Specifically yesterday we talked about endurance training and I found the most interesting thing about it is that with training your body adapts such that it grows better and more dependent on oxidation of triglycerides to fuel endurance exercise.

Did you catch that?? ;)

BASICALLY the more cardio training you do over time the more your body is going to burn FAT to fuel your cardio session as opposed to carbohydrate. A marathon runner's body uses more fat stores to fuel a run than a (previously) sedentary, fat person.

CRAZY, no?? SO...make sure you have some endurance training in your regime if you're trying to lose some of the jiggle! hahaha

It's been a busy week - it's Friday already. I'm not as far along with my homework as I had hoped, but I'm not behind...yet. I got one assignment handed in yesterday and got started on the next; unfortunately my poor brain is screaming for a break and isn't churning out this 10 page paper on obesity (I may have some more interesting things to write about soon!) very quickly.

BUT, Little Miss is away at daycare today for a field-trip to the Sugar Bush to learn all about Maple Syrup production, so I find myself with a few extra hours than budgeted for - hopefully (once I get the heck off blogger!) I'll get a good amount of work done.

This week, Mi and I tackled a 10K run on the treadmills at school. UNFORTUNATELY I'm a bit of an IDIOT and appear to have not taken the time to really properly tie my shoes so by about 5K my feet were getting really uncomfortable. By 8K I couldn't run properly anymore due to the enormous blisters I'd managed to give myself so had to stop. It was really disappointing not to finish the 10, especially for such a silly reason!! But I did run 8, and then walked the last 2 - walking didn't rub on the feet in the same way, thank goodness!!

That's all of note, really, I think. We played an AWESOME game of soccer last night, which was a blast - kudos to all who came out and played.

OH yeah, and I weighed myself on the WiiFit, finally, this morning:
WEIGHT: 165.3lbs
BMI: 26.57

JUST as a reminder - when we started this thing I was at:
WEIGHT: 179.5lbs
BMI: 28.84
SO it's been slow going, but it's been going. 165.3 is the lowest I've hit so far, so new milestone for me! Hooray!!

Okay, time to write this paper! Wish me luck! :D

3 comments:

stephs.unforgettable.moments said...

That damn triglyceride Oxidation. I was unable to understnad that for the longest time yesterday, until bam it hit me. Thats pretty wicked though. I'm glad you shared that with the team hehe.

And By gosh REDDDDDDDDDDDD. I'm incredible impressed with boy the 8km (high five) and with the weight loss. I had been wondering how you were doing with that. But it's kinda a weird thing to ask. But i guess the majority of our conversations are weird anwyasy haha.

Anyways long comment shortened. Congrats, so very very proud.

Di said...

Congrats!! I bet you look fabulous. That was really interesting. When I had Addy I gained about 60 lbs and I found running was the best way to loose the weight and it took me well over a year. (Now I have gained at least 15 back...blah! Why does weight have to be such a battle?!) I probably could have done it faster, but I didn't do any weight training. Slowly but surely is the only way to go. Hey smartie pants what are you majoring in?

Red said...

Hey, ladies! Thanks!

Di, I study kinesiology (hence the blog title, 'kin' major) which would be similar, I think, to exercise science down south. ;) 'Kinesiology' by definition is the study of movement - at school we look at anatomy, physiology, exercise prescription, disease, neuroscience, growth & development, sport psychology & social history of sport, nutrition, fitness analysis......

I just wrote a paper for my functional fitness assessment and exercise prescription class that may help shed light on that 'why does weight have to be such a battle' question of yours... ;) hahaha