Snooze

(from: http://365daystoahealthierme.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/i-cant-sleep/)

Back to 6am wake ups. groan

I know that 6 REALLY isn't that early and that there are lots of crazy-demented-overachievers people who DO routinely get up at 6 without any problems or headaches.....

....but man oh man, I am NOT one of them.

Mr. Man and I have been having a hard time adjusting to daylight savings time, actually, the last week.  Our nightly routine instead of landing us in bed around 11 or midnight just continued as normal, except the clock changed, so we've been landing in bed around midnight or 1 all week.  I know, I know.  GENIUS move.

So we've been a little bit fatigued this week.  Totally self-inflicted, that's fine, but there it is.

So yesterday, knowing that I had a 6am wake-up today (which my ill-adjusted body still thinks is 5am) I planned to just hunker down for the afternoon, get through the day AWAKE, and get to bed by 9. Because I was so tired I knew I could fall asleep quickly and figured an extra hour or so at night would be just fantabulous to helping me adjust and recover from the week of stupidity. 

I made it nap-free 'till about 4:30.  Then, I just DIED.

I didn't even sleep a full hour! It was one of the shorter naps I've ever laid down for AND interrupted with a phone call....

....so why the HECK did it take me over three hours to fall asleep when I went to bed last night??  I did NOT nap long enough to make up for previous zombie state, and USUALLY when I go to bed, that's it! I'm down, I'm out and I SLEEEEEEEEEEP!  (Have I mentioned lately that sleeping is one of my most favourite things to do? It's just, such a TREAT to sleep snuggly, comfortably, uninterupted-ly, deeply...mmmmmmmmmmm......... visions of pillows and blankets wrapping around me in my head.....)

Yeah. Couldn't sleep.

So now, at 7:09am, after having been up for over an hour, with a lovely daycare child playing happily in the playroom.... I WANT MY BED!!  I am so TIRED!  My head feels swollen - you know that not-quite-a-headache uncomfortable feeling? I have THAT - my eyes have that ever-so-slightly burning, NOT refreshed feeling to them.... and I've been up for over an hour AND IT'S STILL DARK OUTSIDE! 

That is just wrong.

I tried counting sheep last night.  It went something like this:


Okay, count sheep.  That will focus you on something so menial your mind won't wander.  Okay, great.  One, two.... wait, is that a sheep or just a white blob?  Okay, PICTURE a sheep.  What does a sheep look like. Yeah, that's a silly animated-looking one.  What about the sheep at the petting zoo.  Okay.  But that sheep doesn't look like a jumper, I can't picture it jumping a fence.  Why the heck when we count sheep are they jumping fences anyway? That's stupid. I should just count them grazing grass.  Okay, a bunch of sheep.  One, two, three, wait, did I count that one? How do shepherds DO this? They all look the same....

(from: http://mychinaconnection.com/english-slang/counting-sheep/)

Yeah, it was one of my more brilliant internal dialogues.

So I will stumble through yet another day, longing for bedtime.  Hopefully I will be able to discipline myself this evening and GO TO BED at a decent hour and then, without resorting to the apparently ridiculous task of counting leaping lambs fall asleep, ready for TOMORROW'S pre-dawn hours. 

YAWN

2 comments:

Muma said...

I have had the hardest time adjusting to the daylight savings this time around too. We've been staying up late as well and waking up late. It didn't help that last week was March Break and we could sleep in as much as we wanted. Yeah, late for school today. Oh well.

Red said...

hahaha I'm really struggling today! I busted out a wimpy 5K earlier today hoping it would give me a bit of a boost.... did for about 30 minutes and then I've just been ACHING for my bed allllllllll daaaaaaaaaayyyy....