The End of the War, Week of 27, and phbthhhh.....

So you may recall about a month ago I posted that I had joined a 'weightloss war' with some friends on Facebook. I would FINALLY like to report the END of the war, and though I did not WIN, I was THIS CLOSE! hahaha I lost 4.1% of my starting weight and the winner lost 4.38% - it was REALLY close. We divulged our actual numbers to each other later - I lost by .7 of a pound. Seriously - if I'd eaten a LITTLE less for dinner the night before the weigh-in I may have won. (Which, of course, takes us RIGHT back to my loathing of WEIGHT as a measure for....'health' or 'body-good-looking-ness' or whatever the heck it is we're all trying to accomplish - a little of column A, a little of column B?) ANYWAY, I am happy with my results - I lost 7.1lbs during the war.

So THEN it was my birthday. Well, actually, the day before the war ended was my birthday. But my birthday was mostly spent at school (UGH!) soooo....didn't really celebrate anything.

Okay, so let me just tell you a little about me and a little about how I feel about birthdays.

I am RIDICULOUS about my birthday. I think everyone should be. Birthdays are AWESOME. It's YOUR day. JUST you. Like, any other day of the year you get to celebrate or whatever, you SHARE with someone, or half the planet - I share my anniversary with Mr. Man; Christmas, while fun, is REALLY about God and EVERYONE gets a piece; Valentine's day, every couple on the planet; Mother's Day, I get a present and give a few presents. My BIRTHDAY?? I am the ONLY one that anyone in my immediate circle is or has any reason to celebrate on that particular calendar day. I LOVE my birthday. I FREAK OUT for my birthday. Birthdays are the coolest thing.

Now, I have a couple things about this year's birthday I need to talk about. Actually, a few. Facebook & my repentance, how much I loathe growing up, and my awesome Mr. Man.

Facebook
I don't know when or why it happened, but I fell ridiculously out of love with Facebook's who's-birthday-is-it-today list (ever notice how much bigger your September lists are than every other month of the year?? HELLO HOLIDAYS!!). I think it just started bugging me - some people I don't need facebook to remind me it's their birthday and then I'd go to post something fantabulous on their walls and oh, wait, I'm like the eighty-thousandth person to do so and it's RUINED, while OTHER people I DON'T know their birthday's without facebook and so never felt right about leaving a 'happy birthday' because I felt it was taking credit for remembering their birthday which I absolutely did NOT do. (How was THAT for a run-on sentence? Eh? I TOLD you I'm good at those suckers!!)

I have repented. Oh facebook birthday-lister, I will never think negatively of you again.

I spent most of my birthday (literally) at school....which sucked. EXCEPT that while I sat in class my e-mail kept popping up....Freddy has posted something on your wall...Suzy has posted something on your wall....Joe-Blow has posted something on your wall.....

I have NEVER felt so darned POPULAR in my LIFE! hahahaha And I KNOW it's ridiculous - loads of the happy-birthdays were from people who have not contacted me (nor I them) since LAST year on my birthday, but STILL!! I couldn't HELP but GRIN at the absolutely insane number of Happy-Birthday wall posts, messages, etc. that I got. It was TOO much fun.

I will from now and forever more be a Happy-Birthday wall poster. LOVED it. To those who I missed...my sincerest apologies. I have seen the light.

Growing Up
Growing up SUCKS. That's it. It SUCKS. And I'm not even all that grown-up; I'm still in SCHOOL for goodness' sake!! This year I felt like I had the world's most boring uneventful GAH-this-can't-really-be-IT birthday, spending the ENTIRE DAY at school, without my family, my Little Miss... And I even managed, ACCIDENTALLY to ruin the FANTASTIC GIFT that Mr. Man got me (more on that later - this will be the longest blog post EVER when/if I ever finish it....) by stumbling upon it in the glove-box of his car looking for our 407 transponder.... siiiiiiiiiiigh

And I DO NOT mean to sound ungrateful, AT ALL. And I'm really really trying hard NOT to be, though I may be failing slightly....and of COURSE it's my own fault because I'm the one who makes such a big stinkin' deal about my birthday. But MAN!! I spent 7.5 hours at school, my mom had knee surgery the day before, Mr. Man was at work, Little Miss was at daycare, my brother didn't call me, my dad went golfing..... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

And because it was such a busy week we planned to celebrate my birthday on Saturday with my parents and brother, EVEN THOUGH Little Miss and I went up to help around the house on Wednesday after Mom's surgery.

(May I interject, that BECAUSE she knew I was going to have a busy day a girfriend of mine came over to my house before I got home and made my requested dinner for me so that Little Miss and I could eat something DECENT and DELICIOUS instead of instant for a change - it was SUCH a treat and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!)

Well, SATURDAY! It's like the fact I was BORN 27 years ago was the BIGGEST imposition I could have EVER put on those men (Dad & brother, NOT Mr. Man - though he did fight over a poopy diaper with me that eventually my just-had-knee-surgery Mom finally changed...hahaha). Mom and I were having a merry old time pretending it was my birthday and then the repeated chorus of it's-not-your-birthday-it-was-on-Tuesday over and over and over..... LIGHTEN UP and have some FUN people! Boy oh boy, talk about making a girl feel loved.

I did enjoy myself, overall, and am THRILLED with my new cookie sheets (even though I'm back off sugar - HA!) and new clothes (plus a new version of Trivial Pursuit from my MIL that came on Sunday - looks like fun!) but this will definitely NOT be remembered among the best-birthdays-ever filed away, and I definitely had my feelings hurt numerous times. C'est la vie, I guess. And = hating growing up.

Best. Husband. Ever.
So, you may remember me posting my friend's blog and website a while back with a picture of a BEAUTIFUL bracelet she made. Well, in ADDITION to the awesome new netbook Mr. Man bought me late-summer in prep for my last year at school AND as a birthday present, he got me my bracelet. And I LOVE it. I was worried I'd feel I couldn't pull it off or whatever, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I wear it every day. It's SO much prettier in person and ON and I LOVE it.

AND Mr. Man is so cool and he knew I'd have a busy "grown-up" day on my birthday so we stayed up 'till 12 the night before so I could open my present. (WHICH I had found in his car, by accident, but it was inside a box, so I KNEW he'd bought me SOMETHING from ACJD but I didn't know WHAT - whoops!!).

Okay, that's enough of that ridiculously hodge-podged ;oa\ofhn\;frihna;efrij-ness! I wonder how many people read all the way to the end.... ;) TROOPERS if you did!!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

HA .. I made it to the end...

SOOOO ... I know you dont like the whole number thing when it comes to weight and that yes I did win and only by .7 of a lb .. which is really funny to me anyways BUT you did a great job and keep up the good work. I am obsessed with the number and plan to loose 15more lbs.

I TOTALLY hear you about the birthday ... I am all about it being my day to and since sunday was my 27th I also was a little unhappy about the whole day .. I HATE growing up and now were in our LATE 20s omg.. almost 30!!!!!!

Holly E. G. said...

Hey Red! Congrats on the weight loss, and HEY, happy belated birthday. I remembered it was in September, but I didn't know the date. AND I'm not on facebook anymore. I'm sad your day wasn't amazing...I love birthdays too, and it was a big relief reading about how I'm not the only one who thinks they're great. Seriously, the 2nd of every month I count how many months it is until my birthday, the 2nd is just so darn special. I also get sad when all the family celebrations come before my birthday, because it makes the day completely anti-climatic.

I'm rambling now. Sorry! Just know that birthdays don't suck because of growing up. Or at least they don't have to! I plan on celebrating always.

Red said...

BOTH of you - thanks for the congrats with the weight-loss. It's TOUGH, eh? Which, at least in theory, is what this whole blog is ABOUT... ;) hahaha

And HOORAY for birthdays and boo for the ones that are less good than others. BUT at the same time, the crappy ones make the good ones seem ALL that much better! ;) Cheers!

Suzy Scrapbooker ;) said...

Red, You're 27 ?!!? Gosh!I thought you were soooo much younger! hahaha! lol. I'm sorry; ancient as I am I do remember the fear of the 30s.. but I don't have too much sympathy as I'm now fearing the 40s.. However, I will admit to being a birthday fanatic. I bring it to a higher level; I have birthday WEEK!! PS. love love love the bracelet!

Red said...

hahahaha Thought I was younger, eh?? :) The kids I go to school with all think I'm in my mid-thirties or something, so when you average it all out people guess I'm my correct age. ;)