Menu Monday: Cauliflower Cheese Soup

I was scowering my Mom's large collection of cookbooks a few weeks ago, looking for some new recipes to add into the rotation with my new, fabulous, totally different regular diet - lotsa' produce, protein, and DIFFERENT carbs - because, well, you know how boring it is to eat the SAME thing over and over and over and over.....   ANYway.  I found some great ones!

This is one of them (for which I had to get my hot little hands on an immersion blender... hooray new kitchen gadgets! Thanks, Mom!)

Cauliflower Cheese Soup, from Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Food Revolution

Ingredients:
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 2 medium-sized onions
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 8 cups cauliflower florets
  • olive oil
  • 1 3/4 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
  • salt & pepper
  • 8 oz cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp English mustard (I had Dijon mustard, so that's what I used)
Directions:

Peel & roughly slice carrots.  Slice the celery.  Peel & roughly chop onions.  Peel & slice garlic.  Cut cauliflower into 1/2 inch slices.  Grate the cheddar into a bowl and put to one side for later. 

Put broth in saucepan & heat until boiling.

Put a large saucepan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil.  All all your chopped & sliced ingredions and mix together with a wooden spoon.  Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is slightly golden.


Add the boiling broth to the vegetables.  Give the soup a good stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat & simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. 

To serve your soup:
Remove the pan from the heat.  Season with salt and pepper and add the cheese and mustard.  Using an immersion blender or liquidizer pulse the soup until silky smooth.  Divide between your serving bowls and grate over some nutmeg, if you like. 

Lovely topped with some lightly fried crisp bacon.

It was SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!! And makes, as you can imagine, a nice big batch, so I had it...most days last week while trying to recover from my death-cold. (Having a cold at the same time as your four-year-old is...not pleasant. 'Cause I don't know about you, but the secret to MY recovery is SLEEP, and I CAN'T sleep if the kid is up on and off on and off ALL FRIGGIN' NIGHT, EVERY night. It was brutal.  Mr. Man finally caught the cold, but Little Miss is better, so like, he gets off easy! GAH! What is WITH that??)

Okay, that's Menu Monday (plus a mini-rant - you are welcome!) and...time to plug into Netflix and lose some brain cells! O:-)

1 comments:

Erin said...

I love a good soup...I think I'm going to try this one. Amelia is finally coming around on soup, I guess it takes about 8 years. The other two fill up on bread on my soup nights, and the cheese I let them put on top, so that maybe they'll get a little bit of the nourishment from the soup underneath while they're carefully trying to pick only the cheese. Some nights I force them to make yummy noises.