Thankful "Thursday": Disgusting Things

Alright, forget it. Here I'm ALL ready for Menu Monday, but I haven't put it up yet because I didn't get my Thankful Thursday finished last week.  I'm sorry, but when my head is THAT full of cold AND I'm just getting back into the swing of my gratefuls...it's just...not pretty.  hahaha  BUT I didn't write NOTHING!  So, HERE is what I wrote on Friday for Thankful "Thursday" - I only got 2 done (I had 5 listed, but just...couldn't...do it!) but better LATE and partially completed than never and nothing at all, right??  And THEN I'll go grab the camera and tell you about this fabulous soup I made JUST in time to have in the fridge for being sick - hooray!

Enjoy!
____________________________________________________________________

I KNOW it's Friday. I know. It's been a pretty crazy week. We started off well - I got my Menu Monday posted on MONDAY (I've even taken pictures for next week's already! HOORAY!), got my Crafty Betties post planned and posted on time yesterday...Little Miss has been home sick since Wednesday, there was a bed-wetting incident with emergency laundry, piano lessons, a Scentsy party, ME getting Little Miss' cold after nighttime coughing-consolation...  It's just been a WEIRD week. A good week, generally - neither Little Miss or I are deathly ill, we just have this icky, stubborn cough - but having her home throws us off a bit.  And so between not feeling well tomorrow and looking after my house and family, obviously, I didn't get THIS post done.

Though I planned it, so I wasn't totally blog-free yesterday.  Well, that's my story, anyway.... O:-)

But having Little Miss home for a few days, NOT with a crazy, hectic-with-fun, filled March Break, has been delightful.  And I've some things to share today that may or may not be classifiable as T-M-I.

...You've been warned.

Thankful "Thursday"
The Disgusting Edition
read ahead at your own risk
1) Farts
Okay, really. They're gross, smelly, embarassing...a nasty byproduct of your digestive processes...  But goodness me, they're HILARIOUS, aren't they?  WOW.  I mean, really. Is there anything else in life that is universally comical to such degrees? 

Even our attempts to not be crude regarding flatulence is funny - 'toot,' 'pass gass,' 'cut the cheese,' or my personal, childhood favourite 'gas attack."  GAS attack. For real. I was raised to think that F-A-R-T was a four-letter word and always said 'gas attack'.  When my childhood best friend and her family all used the 'f' word liberally it made me blush and embarassed!! hahaha  Meanwhile, I'm farting up a storm saying "Oh, excuse me. I gas-attacked."  hahahaha  (Don't worry, Mom - I have lots of great 'gas attack' stories I would never had if we hadn't had this crazy rule as kids! I LOVE that we did!)
AND, they feel amazing. hahaha  I mean, really.  Just.... aaaaaahhhhhhhh.....

Anyway. Little Miss and I are very proud farters - you know the saying 'girls don't fart, they fluff?' TOTAL crap in this house.  This gorgeous little girl has been a FARTER since....forever.  I remember being just absolutely astonished at the incredible decibles her adorable little butt was able to produce so early on in her life.... it hasn't changed.  And Mr. Man? Well, let's just say that between her two parents, Little Miss comes by her farting expertise very honestly. 

But yesterday morning, laying in bed with a sick Little Miss post her peeing-in-her bed accident....I farted.  

And she GASPed! And said "You fawted!" And I said, yup - 'scuse me. And then SHE farted, looked at me with a big grin on her face and said "I fawrted, too!  We're best fweinds." 

Farts are now one of my absolutely favourite things, and I have a new bestie because of it. :-)

2) The Disgusting Book
image from: http://www.amazon.ca/100-Most-Disgusting-Things-Planet/dp/0545197759
A little while ago, we were out for lunch with Mimi and Little Miss got a $5-free coupon for Indigo books from the server; I dunno for sure if it was part of her meal, a special promotion, or if she's just so darn stinkin' cute people throw gifts at her...I think it's most likely that last option.  Anyway, here we're sitting with a crazy little 4 year old who loves books!  With her MIMI, who loves shopping for kid stuff FOR the kid!  With $5 burning some crazy holes in all our pockets.

(I think the Becky Bloomwood tendencies may be genetic...at least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Really, the whole set-up couldn't have been more ideal.

So we head off in search of a big box book store!  And FIND one with relative ease.

Little Miss LOVES big book stores - so many books to look at, and there are always TOYS, too - we told her she had $5 and she went around to anything and EVERYthing that interested her in the remotest and said "this is 5 dollars. THIS is 5 dollars." ....of course, most of the most-desired items were like, SIXTY-5 dollars. hahaha Try explaining that one to a 4 year old having a conniption because of all the awesome she's surrounded with; it was like taking her to Santa's workshop.

Finally we told her she could pick a book. ONE book. We figured it was unlikely she'd pick one for $5 or less, but the difference between the $5 and actual price wouldn't be unaffordable. So one book, she set out to find!

Well, you can guess what she picked.  I don't even know where she found it, or WHAT on Earth made her see it and think, hot-dang THAT looks GREAT!  I mean, really?  It looks DISGUSTING.  In case you missed it up there, the cover is COVERED with brains, beetles, various worms, spiders in noodles that appear to be actually PART of the meal.... ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew eeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!

I TRIED to talk her out of the book. I TRIED to tell her how great THIS book, or THIS book....or ANY OTHER BOOK are.  But she was convinced - THIS is the book I want.

Shudder


The book? It's DISGUSTING.  Some of my 'favourite' entries? tick; tapeworm; tongue-eating louse; eyeballs (AS FOOD!!!!!); chocolate-covered ants; spit; phlegm (ew, looking at that one just made me gag); pus; poo; maggot therapy.

Can I just tell you, PEOPLE eat some REALLY REALLY REALLY nasty things. OHmigoodness. Wow.

Little Miss LOVES this book. She loves it. Nights when Daddy asks at bedtime "do you want to read the disgusting book?" she almost always bounds up and down and says YEAH!  She loves it.

I won't read it to her.  hahaha  It's way beyond too gross for me.

But you know what? I LOVE that she loves it.  I LOVE that she's her own little self and so grateful that she can just BE that. That she can PICK The Disgusting Book over some more conventional happy story about gumdrops, lollipops or princesses and fairies.  That she likes herself some princesses and fairies, but she, at LEAST equally, likes her disgusting things too. 

0 comments: