And now...we detox!

This was in my Facebook newsfeed this morning. It's like it was a sign, or something!
Okay, so today, I started my detox.

Remember detox?? Okay, okay. You have other things in your life that occupy your brains most of the time, so remembering all about MY health problems well....you haven't. hahaha

You can read about the whole story HERE.

Here's the Coles Notes version: I am insulin resistant, and can't eat a butt-load of carbs like I love to. I CAN eat them, occasionally, but not all the time unless I want to keep my muffin top looking like a muffin....(in my case a cupcake, because I SLATHER those suckers in icing....yuuummmmm......)

While pregnant, however, we sort of, um, accidentally? discovered that my body wasn't having the same reaction to my occasional carb-binges as when NOT pregnant, so....yeah.  My gosh. I LOVE CARBS.

Anyway, well, I don't know if you've heard, but I'm not pregnant anymore! (Cheering - I hate being pregnant. MY GOSH. I'm Elizabeth Banks in "What to Expect When You're Expecting" - that movie is HILARIOUS. Tangent over.)

See?
Not. Pregnant.
Aaaaand, well, not being pregnant anymore, my body's kind of reverting back to its old ways where I eat it, it shows up on me.  Which, as I've been eating EVERYTHING has made for...an interesting couple of months.

This nursing gig, too, well, it's NOT the be-all-and-end-all weight-loss program that the 'books' laud it to be. Good GRIEF. My cow-boobs are so FREAKING HUGE I swear they're half of my obesity problem at the moment.  I cannot WAIT for that to be over, as fabulously as it is going.

So. After some deliberation and wondering and figuring out.....and whining about how ginormous I am at the moment (let's be honest - Little Miss TOTALLY gets her whining from me. Sigh. I KNOW.) and making excuse after excuse over the last two months for why I SHOULDN'T start eating properly again... I am ON THE BANDWAGON.

To start, we detox, and today was day 1.

Now, this isn't some crazy insane juice-only or eight-week detox (some of you people, in my humble opinion, are INSANE!! Seriously, EIGHT WEEKS?! Woooowwww......).  No, all it is is a kickstart for my body to get back where it needs to be nutritionally. I eat lots and lots and lots, just not lots of variety!  hahaha  Meat, vegetables, and nuts.  I eat anything in those categories. (Except potatoes. Sob)  Doing this for a whopping 14 days (sure FEELS whopping right now! I WANT MARBLE SLAB!!) allows the body to flush out all the sugar crap that's stuck in there...resisting insulin!  That's why I have to take even fruit out at first, to nix the fructose, and just let everything go.  

Multivitamins (if you can get a good one, that actually gets absorbed instead of just sitting, whole, in your stomach...) are a great addition because they can help sort of latch on to the icky and yank it out of your body, too.  And a whole whack of other supplements, but I'm not really big on supplements, so don't use them much, personally.

Then, after 14 days, I get a cheat meal - hooray! Cheat meals are fabulous, and I plan them WAY in advance.  And it's not a cheat DAY, but a meal - when your butt leaves the chair cheating is done.

Then, you go back to eating...non cheat things.  Carbs, for me, are out. Fruit & dairy are back in. (YAY!) Then, after another four days, another cheat meal!

The cheat meals are important because you still get to eat all your favourite things, just not every single day, and by keeping a cheat meal every four days or so and eating, supposedly, carbs, whatever your body doesn't become SO unaccustomed to them that you develop sensitivities. It's kind of awesome.

Now, there are questions and concerns about "detoxing" while nursing.  Have no fear, people!  I'm eating BOAT loads of food, lots of nutrition, drinking oooooooodles of water...the baby is not going to be lacking for sustenance, and I'm not going to die.

Today...I feel a little bit like I'm going to die.  I've eaten SO MUCH FOOD today, but none of it my usual comfort belly-fillers....and I am SO SO SO HUNGRY.

This morning, I had two eggs, a handful of cashews, and a handful of snap peas - it was DELICIOUS.

Then, for lunch, I ate this giant salad (oil & vinegar dressings allowed - dairy/creamy dressings, no) - a whole romaine heart, almonds, crab meat, and a giant fat carrot.

Dinner was delicious chicken breast with broccoli & carrots. If I'd had some corn on hand I would have made up corn, but I need to hit the store.

Yes, I still eat corn - vegetable! Technically some people on this protocol don't do corn, but I do. And it worked amazingly before, so I'm doing it the same. (Live with it, Sensei! hahaha)

So, day 1 is done.  Day 2 tomorrow!

OH YEAH! I forgot!  Today, 210 lbs. Huzzah. About 35 lbs more than pre-pregnant, super healthy me was this time last year, so... doable.  It'll go. Maybe slowly, but it'll go.  Right now, I just want to sit down in jeans without wanting to cry in pain.

Aaaaand I thought we were getting calipered tonight at kickboxing, but we didn't.  So...will post that humiliating information...whenever it comes! hahaha

Okay. It's uber late, this is way longer than I planned (I do that, don't I?) aaaand the gorgeous baby is already asleep and in bed, so I'm outta' here!

Cheers, all! Thanks for the support! Let me know if you have questions or want to give a detox a try and see how your body reacts.

Red


0 comments: