Back in Action

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.....feels good to be back. Pray for me to never get sick again. Ever. EVER.

I learned some SERIOUSLY cool stuff today in my sport psychology class about motivation. I swear, whoever came up with this theory was TOTALLY psychically describing me or something. It was inSANE!

Basically one of the theories about motivation is that we, humans, do things to prove that we can do them and that we're good at them. That's it. We do things to be good at them. Crazy, eh? And some of the EXAMPLES my professor used - CRAZY! Why do we play sports? Because we think we're good at them. Why do we try new sports? Because we think we will be good at them. If we try a new sport and we suck at it, or at least that's our perception, we don't do it anymore. In the world of automatic transmission why do we drive stick? Because we want to be good at it. Why do we exercise? Because we want to be good at it.

I betcha' that's why it's so HARD for so many of us to exercise for the sake of weight-loss and fitness type stuff. The results are SO SLOW and hard to see - if you don't see that you're rocking your workouts then....move on and be good at something else!! DANG I just had an epiphany!! I'm SO smart!

Anyway, it was a lot smarter sounding in class. When I actually review my notes and read the chapter on motivation (we weren't supposed to start that today - have you EVER had a prof. who was ahead of the schedule? GEEZE!) I'll be all sorts of intelligent about it. ;)

TODAY
I DID get a swim in between classes today. I'm so pleased! I was worried about fitting a workout in at school on Wednesdays because I have class, then an hour break, then class at the COMPLETE other side of campus from the phys ed department a.k.a. the work-out-friendly-area, then an hour break, and then class. I was trying to figure out how to get from class to the change room, change, have a drippy-sweat-filled 20-30 minute run, shower, change, and high-tail it over to class in either of those short hour periods, and then it HIT me: if I SWIM I can skip the shower and instead of smelling like B.O. I'll just smell like chlorine! HOORAY! So that's what I've opted for. I smell like chemicals most of my Wednesday, now, but it's OKAY because I LOVE swimming. I swam 20 pretty continuous minutes today - had to stop to clear the fog from my goggles every few laps so I could keep my eyes on the clock so I wouldn't be late for class... And in future now I know I can swim longer and still have plenty of time to make it to class so I'll aim for 30 minutes or so. Kinda' depends on how fatigued my arms are feeling that day, honestly. hahaha
NO yogilates - I actually forgot to do an assignment and my T.A. for who-knows-what reason took pity on me and let me send it to her via e-mail, so I spent the evening looking after Little Miss and working on the assignment, and by the time all that was done Mr. Man was home and it was time for togetherness. (Except this post, of course). Tomorrow I have every intention of remembering to do my homework, so I won't have to skip any parts or wholes of my workout.

Wii Fit Measures:
Weight: 177.3 lbs
BMI: 28.49

Even with a week off I've lost a bit - the adiposity gods are losing the battle tonight! MUAHAHAHA!!

0 comments: