Detox Day 3

Today is Mr. Man's birthday!  He's OLD. hahaha Yikes. Keeps freaking me out.... oy vey.

This morning I made Mr. Man and Little Miss special birthday french toast for breakfast...then I rinsed out my egg dipping container thing and whipped myself up some scrambled eggs with chopped up onion and a wee bit of ham.  It was yummy, and extra quick because everything was already out for my sweeties' breakfasts. :-)

Lunch was teriyaki salmon with beans - Mr. Man okayed the menu and even chose the vegetables for lunch.  I cheated and used Epicure's teriyaki mix again (it's SO FAST and ALMOST as good as my homemade... I USUALLY cheat and use it if I have any around) and marinated my salmon for about 15 minutes each side, then popped the whole thing under the broiler on HI for a few minutes on each side - I've taken to just cooking my salmon in the marinade for the little bit of extra flavour without constantly basting or anything like that.

Yes, I am a lazy cook.  :-D

 For dinner I made spaghetti - it's delicious, everyone likes it, including Little Miss (though tonight she sure gave us a run for our money - OY!)  and with all my birthday cooking it was nice and easy.  AND used up some of the ground chicken we got at the store the other day ($2 for a 1lb-ish pkg! BAZING!)

Now, when I make spaghetti sauce I use 1lb of some sort of ground meat - usually beef, but second-most often, chicken, and occasionally, turkey.  My dad made it once with ground sirloin or something....drool  It really doesn't matter, just some ground meat. Extra lean, of course, if you can swing it.

Cook up your meat, drain it, then add 1 chopped up onion.  Heat that until the onion turns a bit clear, and add about a teaspoon each basil, oregano, and garlic powder.  Mix that up, and add 2 cans of tomato/spaghetti sauce (whatever brand is on sale that week for a buck!  hahaha)

All you have to do is heat it through, but if you can leave it on lo for about half an hour it gives all the flavours time to mix and get yummy.  Totally depends on how much time I have whether or not I bother with letting it hang out on my stove or if I just start dishing it out onto plates!

Now, you may recall that I'm not eating PASTA and be wondering how in the heck this works with my making spaghetti for dinner.

I made noodles for Mr. Man and Little Miss (who decided to wait for dessert instead of eating her sgetti - argh!)

Let me introduce you to my fabulous friend, Monsieur Spaghetti Squash:

YUMMY and easy easy easy.  

First, I chop the thing in half, lengthwise (or as in the last couple of cases, I have Mr. Man do it for me because my hand hurts too much to grip the knife as ridiculously hard as I need to - it's akin to cutting through a pumpkin.) 

Then, scrape out the crap from the inside (just like when you're scraping out your to-be jack-o-lantern!)

Crap inside

All scraped out!
Then I put a wee bit of water on a cookie sheet, turn my oven on nice and high, like 425 degrees, and put the squash halves open-side down in the water on the cookie sheet.  Put them in the oven (I don't usually bother waiting for it to heat up - they'll cook as it heats), and then leave them for 25-30 minutes, ish. I don't know exactly how long I leave them in - I do them first and put them in the oven so when I'm done everything else they're ready! 

When they're done, flip them fleshy-side up and attack it with a fork - the squash like, falls out and, surprise, looks like spaghetti!


It's a delicious side-dish, but I love mine slathered in spaghetti sauce. 

YUM! 
 So, that's what I ate tonight.

Cravings today??

Giant cookie cake. hahaha  Because Little Miss and I made one for Mr. Man.  I mean, tell me this is NOT super tempting:

And while the finished product has a bit of an ew, yuck, disgusting factor and should absolutely be featured on Cake Wrecks, that factor was achieved with liberal application of icing and sprinkles...... 

OH how my tummy ACHES to partake of this horribly ugly dessert concoction!

If I weren't detoxing I would totally be splurging on this with my family.  sigh  OH well!

Okay, that's my blogging for today's food.  Thankful Thursdays will hopefully return after the detox is over and I can think about something other than food during the day. hahaha

I have dessert and birthday presents to serve.  Cheers! Happy eating!

0 comments: