The ever-losing battle against adiposity.

Did you know that a baby is born with all of his/her muscle cells already formed and that those are IT?? You can work out ALL you want, you're NEVER going to build another muscle cell. We can increase the size of the cells, but never get more of them.

FAT cells, on the other hand, increase in both size AND number. And once you've increased the number of cells it's ridiculously difficult to get rid of them. Shrinking your fat cells is easier than actually getting rid of them.

Doesn't it seem like a bit of a cruel joke, this whole skinny thing, then? Like, we're all predestined to be fatties. Not that I believe in destiny. I'm literally trying to work my rear off fighting against my chubby fate!

Anyway, that hit me as something to meander in thought about yesterday after I finished yogilates (YAY!). It's driven me nuts since I learned it last semester in my human growth and development class - I'm on a mission to kill all extraneous fat cells, especially the scientifically-proven-to-be-hard-to-zap femoral fat (the celluliteish stuff we lovely ladies refer to as our thunder-thighs), just because I believe somewhere inside me that I can do it!!

TODAY (so far...)
Little Miss is ASLEEP!! Hooray!! (Angels are singing the hallelujia chorus......)
45 minutes yogilates
14 minutes "aerobics" on the Wii Fit (SO much fun - not sure how useful it's going to be to actually lose weight, but it's in the house for Mr. Man)
TONIGHT - soccer!!!

According to Wii Fit:
Weight - 179.5lbs
BMI - 28.84

I'll give you my whole little rant about BMI in another posting - one with a picture of me so you can see I'm not actually near as close to obese as that ridiculous measure would have you believe. I don't think many people would call me overweight, actually, but there you have it.

If we win the game tonight, I'll be sure to post about it 'cause it's OH so exciting and much more fun when we win! ;)

0 comments: